Casillas Discharged From Hospital After Suffering Heart Attack

Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas has been discharged from hospital, five days after suffering a heart attack.

The 37-year-old Casillas suffered “an acute myocardial infarction” during a practice session last Wednesday and underwent a catheterization after being rushed to the hospital.

Casillas said Monday he doesn’t know “what the future holds,” and that the most important thing was to be standing there talking about himself.

Speaking outside the Hospital CUF Porto he said he would rest for “for a couple of weeks or a couple of months”.

“The most important thing is to be here,” he told reporters.

“A few days ago I went through a difficult situation, something that can happen at any moment of life, but fortunately I’m fine. I am grateful and feel that I am very lucky.

“Thank you to all who cared, for I felt very dear and cherished. I can only get out of this situation with a smile.”

Porto team doctor Nelson Pulga said last week he expected Casillas to make a full recovery but claimed it was too early to make an assessment on whether the veteran goalkeeper would return to play professionally.

Casillas’ agent, Carlo Cutropia, said the player’s biggest victory was surviving the heart attack.

Casillas signed a new contract with Porto in March that will run until June 2020, with an optional second year. He said at the time of signing that his wish was to end his career at the Dragao stadium.

Share Via:

Leave a Comment

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial