Actor Jussie Smollet on Tuesday was cleared of allegations that he staged a homophobic and racist attack against himself.
Earlier this month, the “Empire” actor was indicted with 16 felony charges by a Cook County jury, over the alleged hate crime hoax.
Jussie claims he was attacked by racists outside his apartment in Chicago, Illinois on January 29.
But the Chicago police claimed Jussie had hired two Nigerian brothers and paid them $3,500 to orchestrate the attack.
Yesterday, Prosecutors in Chicago unexpectedly dropped all the charges against Jussie.
“Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him,” Jussie Smollett’s legal team said in a statement.
“Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th.
“He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public, causing an inappropriate rush to judgment,” the statement said.
Jussie did not get off scott-free according to prosecutors, who said the actor agreed to forfeit his bond.
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the state’s attorney’s office said.
Photo Credit: Getty Images