Former vice-president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, has made a 50 million Naira ($135,000) donation towards the coronavirus pandemic.
Reports from Africa News reveal that, the donation which has been tagged a relief fund was announced in a statement he issued on Wednesday.
According to him, the donation is being made on his behalf by Priam Group to form part of the stimulus package the federal government should create for Nigerians.
He said, “I commend all all individuals and corporate organisations who have one way or the other provided some form of relief for the Nigerian people. I further call on more corporations and individuals with capacity, to assist the public in these trying times.
“To this end, Priam Group pledges N50 million on my behalf as my humble contribution to a relief Fund that will form part of the stimulus package.”
"To this end, Priam Group pledges N50 million on my behalf as my humble contribution to a relief Fund that will form part of the stimulus package." https://t.co/uTjCt6DRID— Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) March 25, 2020
He also called on all mobile telephone companies in the country to develop mobile money platforms so that the government will be able to reach unbanked Nigerians with the proposed package.
“I also urge these telecommunications firms to offer each of the 100 million mobile phone lines in Nigeria free credit of at least ₦1500 per mobile line, so that Nigerians who show symptoms, or those who just want information, can call the nearest available health facility, or even an ambulance service, as the case may be,” he said.
Earlier this week, Atiku confirmed that one of the sons had tested positive for the virus and was currently receiving treatment in Abuja.
There are currently 48 active cases in Nigeria, two have been discharged and one death has been reported.