Fury Wary Of ‘Make-Or-Break’ Wilder As Trilogy Bout Nears

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury believes he will be facing the most dangerous incarnation of Deontay Wilder yet when he clashes with his American rival for the third time this weekend.

Fury, the undefeated World Boxing Council heavyweight champion, faces Wilder in a trilogy fight in Las Vegas on October 9 in his first bout since dethroning the 35-year-old from Alabama via a seventh technical knockout in February last year.

That victory followed an epic 2018 battle between the two heavyweights in Los Angeles which ended in a draw after Fury remarkably climbed off the canvas following a 12th round knockdown.

Fury had initially been set for a unification fight this year with former world champion Anthony Joshua, but was ordered to grant Wilder a rematch in May after the intervention of an independent arbitrator.

The fight was originally due to be held in July but was postponed until October after Fury’s training camp was hit by an outbreak of Covid-19.

Talking to reporters on a video conference call on Wednesday, Fury (30-0-1, with 21 knockouts) said next week’s fight was “make-or-break” for the hard-hitting Wilder.

“The one thing I don’t do is underestimate anybody,” Fury said. “Whether it’s the smallest man in the room or the fattest man in the room, I’ll never underestimate anyone.

“Make no mistake – this will be Deontay Wilder’s make-or-break moment in his life. Anybody can lose a fight, anybody can have a bad night.

“But this is his make-or-break fight. He’s a three-to-one underdog. He’s got everything to gain and nothing to lose.

“Everyone expects me to go in there and beat him down – which I will – but you can never write Deontay Wilder off because he’s at his most dangerous now.”