Harry Kane ended speculation over a potential move to Manchester City by announcing on Wednesday he will remain at Tottenham this season.
The 28-year-old is the second top goalscorer in Tottenham’s history with 221, but is yet to win a major trophy at club or international level.
Kane had made clear his desire to leave his boyhood club in the quest to end his wait for silverware.
However, he still has three years left on a six-year deal signed in 2018, allowing Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to demand a fee well in excess of the £100 million ($137 million) English record City paid Aston Villa for Jack Grealish earlier this month.
Kane missed his side’s 1-0 victory over City on the opening weekend of the Premier League season after returning late to pre-season training.
He however was warmly welcomed back by the Tottenham support as he made his first appearance of the season as a substitute in a 1-0 win at Wolves last weekend.
“It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks,” he wrote in a social media post on Wednesday,
“I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success.”
Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo said it was “fantastic news” to see Kane’s immediate future resolved.
“I think since Harry joined us he has been working so this is what we value. His attitude in training has been excellent,” said the Portuguese.
“It’s finished, Harry is going to be with us.”
Personal glory could also keep Kane in north London for the long haul.
He is just 45 goals behind the legendary Jimmy Greaves as Tottenham’s all-time top scorer.
City were targeting Kane as a long-term successor to Sergio Aguero at the Etihad.
And Aguero’s record of scoring the most Premier League goals for one club of 184 could go this season with Kane having netted 166 for Spurs.