Kendrick Lamar Sets New rap Record ; Becomes first artist to win Pulitzer prize for music
- Rapper Kendrick Lamar won the pulitzer prize for Music on Monday April 16 2018 for his critically acclaimed 2017 album ”DAMN
- Kendrick Lamar is the first rapper to ever win the award , which has historically been dominated by classical and Jazz music
- kendrick Lamar is a 12 time Grammy award winner.
- kendrick Lamar , in 2016 was named by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world .
- kendrick Lamar is a member of the west coast hip hop super group ‘Black Hippy”, alongside his TDE label mates and fellow south los-aneles based rappers Ab-soul , Jay Rock and Schoolboy Q.
- kendrick Lamar has surpassed Eminem as the rapper with the most nominations in a single night , and second overall behind Micheal Jackson , who holds the record of 12 nominations since 1984 (Grammys)
- Kendrick Lamar’s debut major -label Album “good kid , m.A.A.d city , was named as one of the 100 Best debut albums of all time by Rolling Stone .
- Kendrick Lamar in 2015 was included by Billboard as one of the 10 greatest rappers of all time
- Kendrick Lamar is HIPHOP’S SAVIOR .
Rap artist Kendrick Lamar has become the first rapper to win the Pulitzer prize for music , for his Magnum opus “DAMN” , adding another feather to his hat , making him the first rapper to ever win the prestigious award .
Honestly when i hear any News about Kdot ,i get really excited , because the 30year old compton native is the breath of fresh air to rap music , he is to hip hop as amen is to prayer , and on that note it is only natural that he breaks barriers that were once thought to be an impasse .
last years prize in the category went to a composer by the name Dun You with the album ”Angel’s bone”, not only that the past several decades of winners have also been dominated by instrumentalists .
kendrick’s 2017 album “DAMN” was the ”Billboard best selling album of the year, but it lost the grammy to Bruno Mars’ 24k Magic .
Pulitzer.com described lamar’s work as ,
”Recording released on April 14, 2017 , a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular
authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing
the complexity of modern African -American life .”