Rashford Apologises For Penalty Miss But ‘Not For Who I Am’
England and Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford has been subjected to racist abuse from disgruntled fans following his penalty shootout miss as England lost to Italy in Euro 2020 final.
Rashford was one of three players targeted on social media after they missed their spot-kicks. The other two were Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.
After the game Rashford apologised for his penalty miss but said he “will never apologise for who I am”.
“I felt as if I’d let everyone down,” Rashford wrote in a statement.
The 23-year-old added: “I can take critique of my performance all day long, my penalty was not good enough, it should have gone in but I will never apologise for who I am and where I came from.
“I’ve felt no prouder moment than wearing those three lions on my chest and seeing my family cheer me on in a crowd of tens of thousands.”
A mural in Rashford’s hometown of Withington was defaced after his penalty miss, before it was covered in messages of support.
Earlier on Monday, England boss Gareth Southgate said the racist abuse issued after the defeat was “unforgivable”, while Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Football Association have also condemned it.
The Metropolitan Police is investigating the abuse and said “it will not be tolerated”, while the UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) has also launched an investigation.